Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tragedy and Comfort

Hey everybody!  I hope you are having a great life!

I guess I should probably update all of you on UNC's got talent...

WE WON!!!  (JK 5000.  We came in 6th.) 

My friends Andrew, Shawn, and I performed the song Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley.  It was a super rendition.  Andrew and Shawn were incredibly talented... I was okay. 

I don't know quite how to write this next news, but it's such an important part about my life.

Shawn was in another band called the Kyle Hope Band.  It's a Christian Worship band.  The day after the contest, Shawn and the other members of the band got into a car accident on their way to California for a gig.  They were rear-ended on the highway.  Shawn sustained a serious head injury and passed away the next day after being taken off life-support. 

Man... it was tough.

Though there is a lot of pain that comes with Shawn's death, there's also hope.

Being involved in Christian Challenge, a campus ministry here at UNC, has really strengthed my faith over the past few years.  I know for sure, that Shawn is now in heaven, worshipping Jesus with all his heart.

There are a lot of Campus Ministries here at UNC.  They are so awesome!  I've met so many people through Challenge who will be lifelong friends.  College is a great time to figure out what you believe, and most people do whether they try to or not.  What people believe in college is most likely what they will believe for the rest of their lives.  It's what they will pass on to their children, to their grandchildren, to their great-grand children, and so on. 

I know it's considered Taboo to talk about religion, but I'm just so in love with Jesus.  I can't imagine how I would ever get through something like this without him, and UNC is such a great place to nurture and build up your faith. 

So when you are thinking about getting involved at UNC, consider joining Challenge or another campus ministry.  It's a great way to meet people and it will definitely change your life! 

http://www.uncchallenge.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment